Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Tikis, Sauce and Le Chocolat Chaud

After yesterday's fasting day I had a few-hour window of tasty delights. I went to my dance class and felt okay about a bit of improvised choreography. I purchased two lovely hip scarves from my gorgeous and witty teacher and, feeling cute, walked to Hayes Valley to meet my sweetie for dinner. I had hanger steak and eggs with a side of asparagus and a starter salad of brussels sprouts and ham. Yes, please.

Sauce in San Francisco has long been my favorite restaurant. The menu features an delicious selection of sauce-covered comfort foods that are not particularly friendly to the Paleo plan. But a little tweaking (and not a bite of the tremendous doughnut holes with butter dipping sauce) and I fared just fine. 



Just beyond this door. . .doughnut hole heaven


After dinner we walked a bit and after that I was still a bit hungry. (Do you notice that when you remove all the assorted sauces, potatoes, grains, buns and soups, that protein and veg leaves a lot of room in l'estomac for more protein and veg?)

So we stopped in at a cute little kabab place and got a skewer of kofte for the short walk to a friend's amazing tiki bar. (For the sake of my anonymity I won't say the name of the bar because said friend is a heck of a businessman and he has a little radar that goes off everytime someone mentions its name online. It's true.)

Rum-based delights in a perfect tiki bar. Who would drink vodka in a place like this?

No dispenser of packaged Mai Tai mixes, the bar specializes in handmade concoctions, perfectly spiced, with freshly squeezed juices and gorgeously garnished with fresh fruit. Me? I drank a shot of vodka. Sometimes eating by a plan means not having the special of the house.

Today the special of the house is a Chocolat Chaud, almost-paleo style.

For mine, I melt unsweetened chocolate and add a small touch of stevia powder, plus some nutmeg, ginger and vanilla. A bit of hot coconut milk, fill with boiling water and it's done. Today it is poured in a large mug that ironically reads, Vegan. I giggle when I read it and sit down to share this silly post about food and drinks with le Blogosphere.


Delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment